Mr. Prospector continued his stranglehold on the leading broodmare sire list, racking up his fifth title in a row. And despite the stallion's death in 1999 at the age of 29, he figures to keep a hammerlock on the competition for years to come. At his current pace, there is little reason to believe he can't top the list for another five years.
Powered by big-spending Maktoum family from Dubai, the Keeneland September yearling sale blasted off like a rocket on Sept. 10. The first of the auction's two select sessions established opening day records for average price and median. In addition, the second-most-expensive horse in the auction's history, a $5.5- million Storm Cat colt, was sold.
Trudy McCaffery and John Toffan's homebred 3-year-old filly Kumari Continent edged Queenie Belle in deep stretch to win the $150,000 Hollywood Oaks (gr. II) Saturday at Hollywood Park. Under Kent Desormeaux, Kumari Continent stopped the timer in 1:49.13 after running 1 1/8 miles over a fast track.
Hollywood Wildcat Upsets Hollywood Oaks
Most Popular Stories
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Mubtaahij the X Factor in Kentucky Derby
- Hall of Fame Jockey Turcotte Out of Hospital
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Efforts Continue to Identify At-Risk Horses
- 'Quisqueyano' Aims for Graded Win in TX Mile
- Median Rises at OBS Spring Sale Opener
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Motion to Send out Kitten's Point in Bewitch
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington