Kosta Hronis said Stellar Wind will have to do "something special" if she is going to top 13 other 3-year-old fillies May 1 in the Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
With a pair of grade I victories under her belt, a track she likes, and early or tactical speed her rivals must contend with, Hronis Racing's Iotapa looms a threat in this year's $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I).
Favored Vagabond Shoes uncoiled a torrid outside rally and powered clear to win the $200,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) Feb. 8 on the turf course at Santa Anita Park.
Favored Vagabond Shoes, circling the field under Victor Espinoza, reached the lead in deep stretch to edge Lucayan by a neck in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 24 on the turf.
The Arcadia, Calif., track received final handle figures for its winter-spring meeting April 25. Handle improved 3% to $710,813,700. That increase came during a first quarter that saw U.S. handle decline 2.81%.
- By Tracy Gantz
Lady of Shamrock takes the Hronis brothers to the top read blog
Jockey Mike Smith gambled at the rail with favored Lady of Shamrock and it paid off with a convincing victory in the $350,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on the turf July 14 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr. Z Camp Still Undecided on Preakness
- Old English Rancho Owner Johnston Dies at 77
- Mubtaahij to Aim for Belmont Stakes
- New Injury Diagnosis for International Star
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Grade I Winner The Tin Man Dies at 17
- New Racing Fantasy Game Focuses on Jockeys
- Officials Optimistic as Monmouth Meet Nears
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday