Hronis Racing's Stellar Wind received a stiff challenge from Tara's Tango, but kept her unblemished record at Santa Anita Park intact with a nose victory over the challenger in the $200,000 Summertime Oaks(gr. II).
Kosta Hronis said Stellar Wind will have to do "something special" if she is going to top 13 other 3-year-old fillies May 1 in the Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
With a pair of grade I victories under her belt, a track she likes, and early or tactical speed her rivals must contend with, Hronis Racing's Iotapa looms a threat in this year's $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I).
Favored Vagabond Shoes uncoiled a torrid outside rally and powered clear to win the $200,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) Feb. 8 on the turf course at Santa Anita Park.
Favored Vagabond Shoes, circling the field under Victor Espinoza, reached the lead in deep stretch to edge Lucayan by a neck in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 24 on the turf.
The Arcadia, Calif., track received final handle figures for its winter-spring meeting April 25. Handle improved 3% to $710,813,700. That increase came during a first quarter that saw U.S. handle decline 2.81%.
- By Tracy Gantz
Lady of Shamrock takes the Hronis brothers to the top read blog
Jockey Mike Smith gambled at the rail with favored Lady of Shamrock and it paid off with a convincing victory in the $350,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on the turf July 14 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Churchill Donates to Charities, University
- Watsdachances Takes Aim at Dance Smartly
- KY Horse Park Transitioning to Black Fences
- Shaman Ghost Looks for Queen's Plate Magic
- Fox Sports 1 to Broadcast United Nations S.
- Virginia Aims to Move Graded Stakes to Laurel
- Highlander Features Battle of The Sexes
- Golden Horn Tackles Older Horses at Sandown
- Warriorscmoutoplay Rolls Into Azalea
- Work All Week, Alsvid Meet Again in Smile