Ending with an impressive victory by American Pharoah in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I), the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club concluded its 36-day meet Sept. 3 with declines in average daily wagering and attendance.
Favored Sweet Swap became a graded stakes winner over his favored hillside turf course with a front-running tally in the $100,000 San Simeon Stakes (gr. IIIT) April 13 at Santa Anita Park.
Vagabond Shoes is a 6-year-old gelding who has raced in six different countries, but the $3 million Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) entrant has never been better than he is now.
Following on the heels of a robust 2012 season, Del Mar did even better in 2013 with all key business categories finishing on the upswing as the track's 74th summer session came to a close Sept. 4.
Odds-on favorite Lady of Shamrock burst through an opening in deep stretch to win the $150,000 Providencia Stakes (gr. IIIT) going away April 7 on the turf at Santa Anita Park, earning her first graded stakes victory.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Champion Tepin Works at Churchill Downs
- Stellar Wind Works in Company for Distaff
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- Report: Dips in Stallion, Mares-Bred Numbers
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland