Monterey Jazz gets back to his favorite distance and is reunited with former jockey David Flores for the $300,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT) Aug. 29.
With no standout apparent in the 3-year-old turf division in Southern California this summer, trainer Julio Canani could well hold the trump card in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 2 with the French import Stoneside.
Unheralded Medici Code got the stalking trip trainer Darrell Vienna was hoping for in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. II) for 3-year-olds. The result was a convincing 1 1/4-length victory over a solid field on the Del Mar turf Aug. 11.
Before 42,842 -- the largest opening-day crowd in its history -- Del Mar unveiled Polytrack as its new main track racing surface July 18 while featuring three divisions of the Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile over the grass.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Barretts Gross Up; Average, Median Decline
- Jan. 28 Live Racing at Aqueduct Canceled
- Keeping Pace: Upstart Figures to Improve
- The Week in Photos for 1/27/2015
- Nerud-Owned and Bred Colt Wins at Big A
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series