Fifty-year-old Russell Baze, the world's winningest jockey, has been recruited by trainer Lorne Richards to ride K.K. Sangara's Shut It Down in the Queen's Plate at Woodbine June 21.
Texas Wildcatter, runner-up in the Canadian Derby (Can-III) last month, heads the field in the $250,000 British Columbia Derby (Can-III) at Hastings Park in Vancouver Sept. 21.
Southern California shipper Celtic Dreamin successfully invaded Canada for his first graded stakes win, romping to victory in the CAN$263,780 British Columbia Breeders' Cup Derby (Can-III) Sept. 23 at Hastings Race Course.
Financingavailable capped off a five-win day for Todd Kabel when the she captured Sunday's $160,350 Jammed Lovely Stakes for Canadian-bred 3-year-old fillies at Woodbine.
Royal Place, ridden by Gerry Olguin, surged to the lead in deep stretch Thursday to capture the $103,598 Lieutenant Governors' Handicap (Can-III) at Hastings Park by a neck, spoiling Lord Nelson's bid for his third straight win in the stakes race.
Sheila's Prospect held off a late flurry of challengers to capture Woodbine's $175,300 Bessarabian Stakes (gr. III), with jockey Jim McAleney aboard, on Wednesday night.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Scratched from F-T November Sale
- California Chrome Digs In for Final BC Breeze
- Lexie Lou Shows Old Spark in Autumn Miss Win
- Chrome Facing Retirement With Poor BC Effort
- Pick of the Litter Shows Best in Fayette Win
- Breeders' Cup Modifies Convicted Trainer Rule
- Northlands Park Meet Ends With Handle Gains
- Salutos Amigos Best in 'Ruler, Eyes BC Sprint
- Keeneland Posts Dips in Attendance, Handle
- Speed Horses Hold Key to BC Classic