At its second session, Fasig-Tipton Kentucky's October yearling sale saw a $400,000 sale leader and gains that suggest the auction could surpass 2013's record numbers, but buybacks were still trending higher.
The thought of capturing the Longines Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) under the Twin Spires with Carl Pollard's homebred filly Kiss Moon made trainer David Vance's eyes brim with tears.
Overcoming a slow break, Ipi Tombe showed her South African championship form in her American debut to register a no-sweat half-length victory in Saturday's $164,400 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs. It was her eighth consecutive triumph.
The international reputation of Ipi Tombe has helped limit the opposition to only five rivals as the South African champion makes her American racing debut Saturday in the $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Carl F. Pollard's stubborn Kiss The Devil overtook Crystal Sea in the stretch and held off favored Quick Tip by a neck in Saturday's $168,300 Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
The favorites for Saturday's $150,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs should have no problem in finding each other during the running of the 1 1/16-mile grass test.
Most Popular Stories
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- Quiet Morning for Breeders' Cup Day 1
- The Outcrossing Advantage
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Brown Brings Talent Times Two Into F&M Turf
- High-Risk Gamble with Fiesolana Pays Off
- TOBA October Member of the Month
- Drug Tests Help Protect Integrity of California Horse Racing
- For Joe Rocco Jr., It's All About the Horse