Front-running Fusaichi Rock Star responded when challenged at the quarter pole and pulled away in the stretch to win the $150,000 San Vicente (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Sunday.
Fog City Stable's Roman Ruler, who has been entered in the Feb. 13 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) is unlikely to run due to a month old quarter crack, combined with bad weather, trainer Bob Baffert said Friday.
Spanish Chestnut took a big step forward Saturday at Santa Anita Park by winning the $150,000 San Rafael Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds -- his graded stakes debut -- in determined style.
The long Triple Crown trail for 3-year-olds gets starts in earnest on the West Coast Saturday with Santa Anita Park's $150,000 San Rafael Stakes (gr. II), which drew six entries.
If Kirkendahl wins Saturday's $150,000 San Rafael Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Park, it will be music to the ears of the colt's owner, country singing star Toby Keith.
Although last weekend saw rainouts on both coasts, including a rare cancellation at Santa Anita, there at least was a 'High Fly' hit that turned into a tape measure home run. So, while the Florida 3-year-olds moved forward, the California horses hit a brick wall and now must wait for dry weather in order to race, and even train.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Racing, Simulcasts Resume in Texas
- T.I.P. Awards Applications Being Accepted
- South African Champion Wild One Dies
- Deal Apparently Reached on Texas Funding
- CA Stallion Sought After Euthanized
- Departing Tops More Than Ready Mile
- Gleneagles Targets Breeders' Cup Classic
- Wise Dan Completes Final Breeze for Woodbine
- Dispersal Planned for Rea's Regis Farms
- Decisive Moment Back in Presque Isle Mile