Irish stallion King's Theatre, who finished third on the 2010/2011 English/Irish jumps sires' list, was euthanized following colic surgery performed June 13.
Odds-on favorite King's Drama provided some intrigue in the $150,000 San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita turf before the classy veteran overtook the front-running Railroad in deep stretch to win by a half-length Sunday.
Trainer Bobby Frankel, who has left few loopholes in his Hall of Fame career, closed one on Saturday at Santa Anita when his King's Drama won the $200,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT).
Irish-bred King's Drama, ridden confidently on the front end by Edgar Prado, ran to his 3-5 odds when pulling away in mid-stretch for an authoritative win in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Aqueduct turf course Saturday.
Favored Rhythm Mad won a grueling stretch duel with the old-timer Continental Red in Saturday's $350,000 Jim Murray Handicap on the Hollywood Park turf course.
Irish-bred Red Rioja slipped through a hole along the inside and edged away in the late stages to tally a one-length victory in Saturday's $100,000 Brown Bess Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the soft Golden Gate Fields turf course.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby