Buddy's Saint, a graded stakes winner at 2 that had been nearing a return to the races, broke down in a workout on the Belmont Park main track Nov. 14 and was euthanized, according to a statement released by the NYRA.
Buddy's Saint, who was a leading 2-year-old last year before being knocked off this year's Triple Crown trail with an injury, recorded his first series of breezes since returning to training in Florida.
Buddy's Saint, open-length winner of the Nashua Stakes (gr. II) and Remsen Stakes (gr. II) at Aqueduct in November, is being pointed toward the $250,000 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
Buddy's Saint, one of the winter book favorites for the 2010 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), arrived at Gulfstream Park from New York Dec. 23 to prepare for his 3-year-old campaign.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr. Z Camp Still Undecided on Preakness
- Health Zone: Nutrition & Yearling Sales Prep
- Old English Rancho Owner Johnston Dies at 77
- Southwest Regional: Big Arm In the Barn
- Mubtaahij to Aim for Belmont Stakes
- New Injury Diagnosis for International Star
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- New Racing Fantasy Game Focuses on Jockeys
- Grade I Winner The Tin Man Dies at 17