English Two Thousand Guineas winner King of Kings has died at stud in South Africa. The son of legendary sire Sadler's Wells was 20 years old, and his death was attributed to heart failure.
The first reported foal by grade I winner Street Boss is a filly out of the winning King of Kings mare Top Tier.
A record price for a broodmare offered during the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale was established Feb. 14 at the sale company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. when North Hills Management went to $370,000 to acquire grade II winner Sweet Win.
Coolmore Stud stallion King of Kings, whose 2-year-old daughter Paddy's Daisy won a division of the Nov. 26 Miesque Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park, has been relocated to Gestut Sohrenhof in Switzerland after standing six seasons under the Coolmore banner.
Heavily favored Paddy's Daisy wore down 42-1 outsider Berbatim to win the $112,600 Jessamine County Stakes for 2-year-old fillies Thursday at Keeneland.
Lightly raced Sweet Win, a $10,000 buy as a 2-year-old at Ocala, came from nowhere to capture the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday.
Coolmore-controlled stallion King Of Kings has been re-located to New Zealand for the 2004 season.
The Doncaster breeze-up sale in England got off to a quick start Wednesday, posting major gains.
Master William, masterfully piloted by Patrick Husbands, scored a major upset in Saturday's featured $250,000 Cup and Saucer Stakes at Woodbine.
King of Kings, an Irish champion and English classic winner, will stand in 2003 in Japan under a lease arrangement between Irish-based Coolmore Stud and the Japanese outfit East Stud.
Champion and classic winner King Of Kings celebrated his first Northern Hemisphere winner when his son Dharkan won at Southwell in England.
Most Popular Stories
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother