Two-time Eclipse Award-winning jockey Garrett Gomez has been cleared to ride again as soon as Aug. 7 after meeting with stewards at Del Mar, provided he tests at acceptable levels for drugs he has been taking.
Danger was averted during the second race at Santa Anita Park Oct. 12 as a result of a loose horse running the wrong way up the homestretch. The race, a six-furlong sprint for maiden 2-year-olds, was declared a no contest.
The California Horse Racing Board has started an investigation into the posting of the incorrect official order of finish of the A Gleam Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park July 16.
Joel Rosario was cleared by California stewards Dec. 13 of charges that he failed to put forth his best effort in a race at Del Mar in September.
There was no cover-up of the late administration of the anti-bleeding medication Salix to Intercontinental prior to her win in the Palomar Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar last summer, according to the steward who was appointed by the California Horse Racing Board to conduct a review of the case.
Stewards at Santa Anita excused injured jockey Patrick Valenzuela on Thursday from all of his commitments through Sunday's race card, one day after he failed to call in prior to taking off his mounts.
Kim Sawyer has been promoted to state steward in Ohio effective April 8. Sawyer replaces Allen Fairbanks who retired at the end of the 2004 live racing season last December after 21 years at Thistledown. Sawyer is the first female state steward in Ohio.
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita