Lava Man, a seven-time grade I-winner and earner of $5,268,706, has been retired.
Six years after a state law was passed extending full rights to horse-owning trainers and their spouses in the Thoroughbred Owners of California, the organization is scrambling to rectify an apparent exclusion sent out as part of the current board of directors election ballot.
Northern California trainers Jerry Hollendorfer and Jeff Bonde were named in separate California Horse Racing Board complaints announced Oct. 20.
Lava Man was named the 2005 California-bred Horse of the Year in voting by the California Thoroughbred Breeders Association, it was announced at the CTBA's annual awards dinner Feb. 7.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach