It was the wrong lead but the right result for Comma to the Top, who slugged his way to victory while becoming racing's newest millionaire in an off-the-turf edition of the $100,000 Daytona Stakes Dec. 29 at Santa Anita Park.
Southern California shipper Miss Empire, the 1-2 choice ridden by Russell Baze, won a stretch-long battle with outsider Butterfly Soul to capture the $100,000 Pike Place Dancer Stakes by a neck Oct. 27 at Golden Gate Fields.
Comma to the Top, on the comeback trail for trainer Peter Miller, picked up his first win since last year's CashCall Futurity (gr. I) in an allowance test at Hollywood Park Dec. 11.
The shoe finally fit and favored Comma to the Top, after nearly a half-hour delay, used it for a dominating victory in the CashCall Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 18 at rainy and windy Hollywood Park.
Making his turf debut, even-money pick Comma to the Top cruised to a front-running 1 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Generous Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park Nov. 27 for his fourth consecutive win.
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Dandy: Texas Red Denies Frosted
- Beholder All Class in Easy Hirsch Score
- Madefromlucky Gets Job Done in WV Derby
- Rare Upset for Jockey Parker at Mountaineer
- Red Rifle Blasts Through in Bowling Green
- Rock Fall Edges The Big Beast in Vanderbilt
- American Pharoah Wraps Up Haskell Preparation
- Gabriel Charles Set for Arlington Million
- Trinniberg Winner Falling Sky Could Go to Spa
- Champ Work All Week Takes Mountaineer Stakes