Undefeated Arizona mighty mite Carlsbad ran her winning streak to five races when she drew off in the lane to claim the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) for her first graded stakes win March 29 at Santa Anita Park.
Southern California trainers Rene Amescua and Kevin Lewis were each fined $1,500 after horses in their care tested positive for scopolamine in 2005, although Santa Anita Park stewards stayed the penalties in each instance as part of a stipulated agreement with the California Horse Racing Board, the agency announced March 25.
Staten Island pounced on her foes in the $75,000 Arizona Oaks for 3-year-old fillies at Turf Paradise, drawing away to a 2 3/4-length victory for locally based trainer Kevin Lewis at odds of better than 5-1.
San Felipe Stakes possibility Southern Image worked seven furlongs at Santa Anita Friday in company with Quite Careless in 1:26.40 for trainer Mike Machowsky.
Hall of Fame jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr., with more than 9,500 career wins, as well as Siberland, who has aspirations for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), are among the featured attractions at Turf Paradise Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup