B. Wayne Hughes' Ketchikan, runner-up to Circular Quay in the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), was officially taken off the Triple Crown trail on Tuesday when the colt was found to be suffering from a bone bruise that will take him out of training for an unspecified period.
Louisiana Derby (gr. II) runner-up Ketchikan is lame in his left front foot, which could knock him off the Triple Crown trail.
There is no escaping the fact that Hard Spun proved he is a brilliant, classy horse with his bounce back performance in the Lane's End Stakes (gr. II), but there is a question that pops up, that will be echoed after the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I): how legitimate was this race, or any race for that matter, run over a synthetic surface?
Todd Pletcher is dominating the Derby trail. Todd Pletcher is dominating the Derby trail. Todd Pletcher is dominating the Derby trail. Remember the kid in school who is forced by the teacher to write something over and over on the blackboard? Well, sorry, folks, but Mr. Pletcher is making us all write the same column over and over every week.
Favored Circular Quay, able to avoid the traffic issues he encountered in the Risen Star (gr. III) one month ago, circled the field five wide coming off the far turn under John Velazquez and rallied impressively to win the $594,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Saturday.
Michael and Doreen Tabor's Circular Quay has been installed as the 9-5 morning-line favorite in a field of eight 3-year-olds for the 94th running of the $600,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Race Course March 10.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- Coolmore: Zenyatta's Dam Vertigineux Has Died
- De Kock Says American Pharoah a 'Super Horse'
- MJC Hopes to Alter 2015 Laurel Racing Dates
- American Pharoah Has Final Breeze for Belmont
- Belmont Stakes: American Pharoah Arrives
- Pharoah Fits Profile of Triple Crown Winner
- WV Racing to Have Role in Legislative Review
- Five New Additions for TOBA Owners Concierge
- Keen Ice Breezes Half-Mile for Belmont