Beshear did not commit to making any proposal this year, noting that the earliest it could be put before voters would be November 2014.
This year's vote on racing dates in Kentucky has serious ramifications. Does everyone understand them? read blog
Strong all-sources wagering allows Churchill Downs to raise overnight purses 10% for second half of its 39-day spring meet.
It may take some time, but at some point the industry will get it right. Read Blog
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority on Oct. 29 approved changes in its rules and regulations to prohibit the administration of cobra venom in Standardbreds.
Officials at Turfway Park are attributing an increase in attendance and overall all-source handle to a combination of factors, including favorable weather, larger race fields, success of the Kentucky Cup day program, and special marketing and events for Friday night cards.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Just as the automobile replaced the horse and buggy a century ago, the manufacture of automobiles has supplanted in importance the breeding and racing of Thoroughbreds in Kentucky, based on the recent actions of Gov. Paul Patton and state legislators.
- By Tom LaMarra
Legislation to authorize electronic gaming devices at Kentucky's eight racetracks cleared the House Licensing and Occupations Committee by a 9-5 vote March 18 and now heads to the full House. When the bill may be heard, though, remains to be seen.
- By Tom LaMarra
Simulcast handle at most Kentucky racetracks has fallen or remained static in each of the past several years. An exception has been Keeneland, which experienced nine consecutive years of growth through 2000, when the amount wagered on simulcasts topped a record $104 million.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year
- Kitten's Cat Poised for Spiral Stakes
- Tamarando Retired, Will Stand at Harris Farms
- Strong U.S. Contingent in Golden Shaheen