Jockeys riding in Kentucky are seeking an increase in losing mount fees â€" those paid for finishing fourth or worse in a race â€" and have been unable to reach an agreement with horsemen, according to representatives of the Jockeys' Guild who attended the monthly Kentucky Horse Racing Commission meeting Jan. 6.
This spring, Churchill Downs and the Klein Family Learning Center/WinStar Library and Classrooms (Learning Center) will offer The Groom Elite ™ Program, which has never been offered in Kentucky. The program, which can host 30 grooms at a time, will begin May 10. The program is free to students and is sponsored by the Kentucky Derby Museum and the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Legislation that would legalize video lottery terminals at Kentucky's eight racetracks was introduced Tuesday in the state House of Representatives by Rep. Jim Callahan (D-Wilder), whose district includes Turfway Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
The chances of alternative gaming at Kentucky racetracks will lie in the hands of lawmakers, but as of mid-January, racetrack officials and horsemen's groups were said to be close to agreement on revenue splits, a crucial component of any legislation that may be introduced.
- By Scott Davis
In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Louisville, Ky., on Dec. 19, the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association has requested clarification on whether the Interstate Horseracing Act, which grants local horsemen's groups sanctions over outgoing signals, supercedes simulcasting contracts between racetracks.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Ellis Park have embarked on a joint marketing initiative that could lay the groundwork for projects at the state's other racetracks.
Most Popular Stories
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Finest City Entered for 2017 Debut in Santa Monica
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Uncle Lino Back to Work at Santa Anita
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Reporting Star to Again Try Sunshine Millions Turf
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- Eclipse Awards to be Televised on TVG2