Giacomo's shocking win at 50-1 odds in the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) served as a reminder that any horse can win on Derby day. Combined with the fact that only two favored horses (Fusaichi Pegasus and Smarty Jones) have won the Derby in the past 25 years, bettors may think betting on favorites in the race is futile. However, a quick look at history shows that some favorites are almost a sure bet.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose
- King and His Court Claims Display Stakes
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded