The Kentucky Derby is only 53 days away now, and the quest for valuable qualifying points has intensified. Let's take a look at who's going where next.
The sights and sounds of Kentucky Derby Week 2013. Watch Video
Steve Haskin reshuffles his deck of 12 and reminds us how to handicap the old fashioned way this week on Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen. read blog
The Florida Derby and Louisiana Derby have led to big changes in Steve's Derby Dozen, plus Lines of Battle arrives! read blog
It's hard to believe that when this Saturday comes and goes, only six weeks will remain to the Kentucky Derby. Time flies when you're having fun. So here we go--where will the contenders and pretenders be running next.
Earlier foals are traditionally expected to perform earlier on the track, but as the Kentucky Derby has proven in recent years, this is not always the case. May foals completed a 2009 trifecta.
EUGENE'S THIRD SON
Dark bay/brown gelding, foaled March 7, 1998, Glitterman--Miss Livie, by Devil's Bag
Steve Haskin, the award-winning turf writer and senior correspondent for The Blood-Horse, updates his top Kentucky Derby contenders weekly. During his 29 years with the Daily Racing Form, Haskin became known for his insightful coverage of the Triple Crown races. Haskin won the Red Smith Award for Kentucky Derby writing in 1997, 1999, and 2000.and received the David Woods Award for best Preakness story in 1997. In 1999, he co-authored "Baffert: Dirt Road to the Derby" with trainer Bob Baffert and wrote the book, "Dr. Fager" for Eclipse Press'"Thoroughbred Legends" series in 2000.
Ranked in preference order, with horse/ trainer/breeding
Click on horse's name to access Contender Page
Talk Is Money
Most Popular Stories
- Ohio Begins Examination of Medication Rules
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente
- Superficial Digital Flexor Tendon Rupture in Older Horses
- Palace Malice Sustains Minor Foot Bruise
- Euro Exchange Tops Finale at OBS Winter Sale
- Upstart is Uplifting for Joanne Nielsen
- 82 Supplements to F-T Winter Mixed Sale
- Majestic Affair, Lindisfarne Win at Laurel
- Penn National Gaming Reports Losses for 2014