The Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes at Kempton in Great Britain, inaugurated in 2009 to award a Europe-based horse a berth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), won't be held next year. But officials said it could return.
Sheikh Hamdan's Mafaaz held off a trio of horses at the wire to win the Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes at England's Kempton Park March 18 and earned an automatic berth in the $2 million Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) on May 2.
Beginning with the Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes from Kempton racecourse in England on Wednesday, March 18, Thoro-Graph will be producing data for UK Racing.
Mark Johnson, one of the most popular and acclaimed horse racing commentators in Britain, will bring his talents to America in 2009 as the new track announcer for Churchill Downs. The announcement was formally made by track officials during at news conference at the historic Louisville, Ky. racetrack Jan. 15.
Churchill Downs and Great Britain's Kempton Park Racecourse have announced a race for 3-year-old Thoroughbreds that will provide a clear path for the winner to a starting spot in the field for the 2009 running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Thewayyouare Relocated to Haras de Corlay
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Firing Line to Crestwood
- Juveniles Showcased at Gulfstream Saturday
- The Devil You Say