After Kentucky Downs conceded on one date that would have conflicted with Churchill Downs in September, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission approved a 2014 dates schedule that follows the dates raced in 2013.
As a result of Turfway's decision not to seek September dates, the 2014 calendar requests filed by Kentucky's Thoroughbred tracks maintain the status quo of 2013, with 193 total days of racing and 13 optional dates requests.
After last-minute horse-trading and some tough compromises, Kentucky's five Thoroughbred tracks have reached agreement on a 2013 calendar that drastically alters the traditional schedule.
After much deliberating, KHRC committee members voted to reconvene at a later date to make their final recommendations for 2013 race dates in question to the full commission, which meets Oct. 17.
The frustrations of those involved in Kentucky horse racing surfaced Oct. 11 when a Kentucky Horse Racing Commission committee considered requests for 2012 racing dates from the state's racetracks.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes