After Kentucky Downs conceded on one date that would have conflicted with Churchill Downs in September, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission approved a 2014 dates schedule that follows the dates raced in 2013.
As a result of Turfway's decision not to seek September dates, the 2014 calendar requests filed by Kentucky's Thoroughbred tracks maintain the status quo of 2013, with 193 total days of racing and 13 optional dates requests.
After last-minute horse-trading and some tough compromises, Kentucky's five Thoroughbred tracks have reached agreement on a 2013 calendar that drastically alters the traditional schedule.
After much deliberating, KHRC committee members voted to reconvene at a later date to make their final recommendations for 2013 race dates in question to the full commission, which meets Oct. 17.
The frustrations of those involved in Kentucky horse racing surfaced Oct. 11 when a Kentucky Horse Racing Commission committee considered requests for 2012 racing dates from the state's racetracks.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- That Handicapping Show: Pennsylvania Derby