Cloudy's Knight, who used last year's Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) as a springboard to a remarkable second-half campaign, is back to defend his title.
The four-day all-turf meet at Kentucky Downs will be highlighted by three stakes on the Kentucky Cup Turf Festival opening-day card.
After trailing the field of eight through a half-mile, Thomas Conway's General Jumbo rallied four-wide and then held off a determined Fri Guy to win the Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. III) by a half-length in Kentucky Downs' 1 1/2-mile feature event Sept. 22.
Favored Silverfoot, ridden patiently by Rafael Bejarano, exploited an opening along the inside in the stretch run and pulled away for a 6 3/4-length romp in the $200,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) on the unique Kentucky Downs grass layout Saturday.
In an effort to maintain overnight purses, Kentucky Downs management has decided to drop the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Mile from the stakes program. However, the Yaqthan Stakes, which is also run at one mile for 3-year-olds and up, will receive a purse increase from $40,000 to $50,000.
In the featured event on a four-stakes card at Kentucky Downs, Augustin Stable's Rochester earned a repeat victory in the $200,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) when Art Variety was disqualified for a bumping finish while making his winning move Saturday at Kentucky Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh