For racing to succeed, it must thrive along the top line. read blog
Evan Hammonds looks at the end of the Kentucky Cup and its implications for the industry. Read Blog
In order to protect overnight purses, Turfway Park has reduced the purse for the grade II Lane's End Spiral Stakes to $500,000. In recent years, the Spiral, a 1 1/8-mile event for 3-year-olds on the Triple Crown trail, has gone for $600,000.
Turfway Park announced today it was cutting $150,000 from purses on its biggest fall day, Kentucky Cup. Track president Robert Elliston blamed the purse reductions on nearby gaming and entertainment opportunities.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Keeneland September Sale Gains Continue
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- Moro Tap to Double Infinity Ranch in Texas
- Artemis Agrotera Heads Gallant Bloom
- Miss Behaviour Targets Charles Town Oaks
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding