For racing to succeed, it must thrive along the top line. read blog
Evan Hammonds looks at the end of the Kentucky Cup and its implications for the industry. Read Blog
- By Tom LaMarra
In order to protect overnight purses, Turfway Park has reduced the purse for the grade II Lane's End Spiral Stakes to $500,000. In recent years, the Spiral, a 1 1/8-mile event for 3-year-olds on the Triple Crown trail, has gone for $600,000.
Turfway Park announced today it was cutting $150,000 from purses on its biggest fall day, Kentucky Cup. Track president Robert Elliston blamed the purse reductions on nearby gaming and entertainment opportunities.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ