The filly Rated Fiesty easily defeated males, scoring a front-running 4 1/2-length victory over Yogi'ssplashofgold in the $183,150 Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 2-year-olds on Thursday at sloppy Churchill Downs.
Making his second lifetime start, Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's Datrick disposed of stablemate Sentry in mid-stretch and edged away to win the $184,250 Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 2-year-olds Thursday at Churchill Downs.
With the doubling of the purse for the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) to $2 million, the total value of purses in Churchill Downs' 2005 schedule of stakes races will reach a record $10 million.
Heavily favored Lunarpal, ridden by Shane Sellers, led from start to finish and held off a stretch charge by Consolidator to take a neck victory in Saturday's co-featured $132,088 Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Trainer Steve Asmussen, who leads the nation in wins in 2004, saddles Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's unbeaten and heavily favored Lunarpal in Churchill Downs' $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) on Saturday.
A pair of juveniles from the barn of trainer Steve Asmussen head a list of 15 2-year-olds nominated tothe $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr.III) on June 5.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Cuvee, a dazzling 6 1/2-length winner in his career debut at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Oaks Day, heads a field of six in the 5 1/2-furlong Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) Monday, the first graded stakes race of the year for American 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Si Sage Speeds to Whittingham Victory
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Lexie Lou Back to Winning Ways at Woodbine
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Makahiki Wins Japanese Derby
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Surgical Strike Gets His Graded Stakes Win
- Royal Ascot Journey Confirmed for Tepin