Trainer Donnie K. Von Hemel won the 2,000th race of his career on the evening of Aug. 9 with favored Storm Rush in the fifth race at Indiana Grand Race Course.
Last year, Miss Macy Sue entered the $150,000 Honorable Miss (gr. II) off a 2 1/2-length victory in the Saylorville on her home track at Prairie Meadows. She proceeded to finish a well-beaten fourth after being sent off as the favorite.
- By Tom LaMarra
Her connections have thought highly of her for quite some time. But Miss Macy Sue needed to keep proving herself in her order to be considered for the inaugural $1-million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint Oct. 26 at Monmouth Park.
Miss Macy Sue most likely stamped her ticket to the Breeders' Cup World Championships with a convincing victory in the Sept. 15 Presque Isle Downs Masters Stakes, centerpiece of the inaugural meet at the track near Erie, Pa.
Hollywood And Wine found a quick pace to her liking in Saturday night's $50,000 Bob Bryant Stakes at Prairie Meadows.
Sure Shot Biscuit, the only Iowa-bred to earn $1 million, has been retired. The 7-year-old won 23 of 54 races and earned $1,025,480, nearly twice as much money as the runner-up: his full sister, Nut N Better.
On Tuesday evening, Sure Shot Biscuit eclipsed the $1 million mark in career earnings at Prairie Meadows. The 6-year-old gelding, owned by Okoboji Racing Stable and trained by Kelly Von Hemel, is the first Iowa-bred in history to reach that milestone.
Most Popular Stories
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Jo Jo Warrior Helps Zayat Celebrate Birthday
- Wise Dan Passes Return Test in Flying Colors
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup
- Plesa Sweeps Juvenile Stakes at Monmouth
- Stonestreet Has Star in Making in Atreides
- Rake Farms, Butler Dominate Minnesota Card
- Itsmyluckyday Outfights Moreno in Woodward