Although the 2016-17 Championship Meet has concluded, highlighted by the $1 million Xpressbet Florida Derby (G1) and the $12 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational (G1), racing will continue at Gulfstream Park through the spring and summer.
Diego Saenz, a 33-year-old Mexico native, chalked up his second consecutive rider title and the fourth in the past four years at Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino at the recently concluded 84-night spring/summer meet.
Trainer Keith G. Bourgeois won the 2,000th race of his career when he saddled Dynamic Time for victory by a nose in the sixth race at Delta Downs on the night of Nov. 30.
By Gary McMillen - Records are made to be broken. Yada, yada, yada. You never hear anybody say that records are made to be smashed.
- By Ron Mitchell
Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La., concluded its 2003 meet with a nominal decrease in total wagering and a slight increase in attendance. The recently concluded meet was the last at the track before it has the opportunity to supplement purses with income from slot machine gaming. The new Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino is expected to open in St. Landry Parish in March 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping