South Africa's reigning champion rider, Gavin Lerena, booted home the last two winners to take top honors in the Dec. 9 Longines International Jockeys' Championship at a rain-soaked Happy Valley Racecourse.
Showing a sparkling turn of foot in the stretch, Straight Girl wore down front-runner Keiai Elegant near the finish line in blitzing to victory in the Victoria Mile (Jpn-I) May 17 at Tokyo.
Gentildonna brought a fitting close to her illustrious racing career Dec. 28 in scoring an impressive win in the Arima Kinen (Jpn-I), Japan's season-ending all-star race at Nakayama Racecourse.
Red Reveur kept her perfect record intact Dec. 8 when holding back hard-charging race favorite Harp Star by a nose in a rousing finish to the Hanshin Juvenile Fillies (Jpn-I).
Real Impact became the first 3-year-old to win the Yasuda Kinen (Jpn-I), the final leg of the Asian Mile Challenge, when he upset the brilliant filly Apapane in the $2.4 million race at Tokyo Racecourse June 5.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another