Trust In A Gust denied multiple group I winner Dissident victory by a flared nostril after a rousing stretch duel in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (Aus-I) Sept. 28 at Caulfield
- By Ric Chapman
Kiaran McLaughlin is headed to Dubai with Invasor this weekend but before he leaves he will lose one of his barns' best bred gallopers, Paullinus, to Australian interests.
Cheveley Park Farm's English homebred Funfair, unbeaten in three starts in the United States, enjoyed a perfect run along the inside to upset Artie Schiller by a head in the $350,000 Kelso Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) on Belmont Park's Widener turf course Sunday.
Multiple graded stakes winner Artie Schiller tunes up for a return trip to the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) when he faces a deep field of American-based turf horses in the $350,000 Kelso Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) at one mile on the Belmont Park turf Sunday.
For Chuck Simon, nothing would be sweeter than scoring his first grade I victory at Saratoga Race Course. He will get the opportunity when he saddles Jay and Gretchen Manoogian's Battle Won in Saturday's $250,000 Forego Handicap (gr. I), going seven furlongs.
A week after Lost in the Fog remained unbeaten with an impressive score in the seven-furlong King's Bishop Stakes (gr. I) over rival 3-year-olds at Saratoga, several top sprinters of the older generation will be asked to turn up it a notch in the $250,000 Forego Handicap (gr. I) at the same distance at the Spa.
There was plenty of news Wednesday as Saratoga Race Course opened for the 2005 season, both in the racing secretary's office and on the backstretch.
Keep the Faith, a 5-year-old horse from Australia, set a North American record and shattered the Widener Turf Course record by winning the 6-furlong seventh race in 1:06.82 on closing day of the Belmont Park spring meeting Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Looking East, to Far East, for Classic Starters
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death