Jim Penney, a charter member of the Washington Racing Hall of Fame who saddled a record five Longacres Mile winners, died Feb. 21 at his home in Edgewood, Wash.
Class Included, a big winner in the Pacific Northwest, takes on the top fillies and mares from across the continent for her hopeful Washington connections.
Washington invader Flamethrowintexan went gate to wire in his turf debut to win the $141,250 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a head over favored Fantastic Spain Saturday on the turf in San Mateo.
Homestretch Farm's locally based Washington-bred Edneator earned his third career victory by setting a blazing early pace and holding on to win the $250,000 Longacres Mile (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths over 2-1 favorite Big Ten Sunday at Emerald Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap