A proposal designed to prevent shipment of horses from racetracks to slaughter facilities stalled Nov. 17 at the Illinois Racing Board meeting as its sponsor withdrew the plan and abruptly resigned.
In an effort to provide a measure of protection for horses and racetrack workers in Illinois, an Illinois Racing Board commissioner wants to require tracks to consider their welfare in the event of track shutdowns.
The Illinois Racing Board June 23, amid warnings the state's racing industry is at "death's door," narrowly refused to let Arlington International Racecourse trim its daily programs to fewer than eight races.
Newly inaugurated Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner is shaking up the Illinois Racing Board, ousting chairman William Berry and appointing three new members -- one perhaps only for transition purposes.
The Illinois Racing Board is scrambling to cope with a huge civil judgment against the state's harness tracks that probably will push them into bankruptcy and threatens to impact Thoroughbred operations.
Marc Laino announced Nov. 14 he is retiring as executive director of the Illinois Racing Board, effective at the end of the year. He has worked at the IRB for 28 years and served in his current post for 12 years.
The future of Illinois racing hangs in the balance as the Illinois Racing Board ponders a 2015 racing schedule for the Chicago area.
The Illinois Racing Board Jan. 29 approved an increase in the purse for this year's Illinois Derby (gr. III) at Hawthorne Race Course and a renewal of the $400,000 American St. Leger started last year at Arlington.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS