Il Capitano, a 6-year-old gelding who has spent most of his career in England, is the highweight and highly unknown factor in Thursday's 62nd running of the $100,000-added New York Turf Writers Cup, the major steeplechase stakes race of the Saratoga Race Course season and a National Steeplechase Association grade I race.
It might be handy to have a breeding chart with you while studying Thursday's eighth running of the $75,000 A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase (NSA-II) at 2 1/16-miles over National Fences at Saratoga Race Course. And that's just for the trainers.
William C. Lickle's Trebizond collared Naughty Prince inside the final 30 yards to post a half-length victory in the fifth running of the $106,200 Hard Scuffle (NSA gr. I) before a record Thursday crowd of 24,312 at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Pereira Taken to Hospital After SA Spill
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Daredevil, Frosted Post Final Works for Wood
- 'Pharoah' Speedy in First Workout After Rebel
- FL Derby Day Sets Handle Record
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- State Control of NYRA Extended Another Year