On the 52nd day of Lone Star Park's 67-date spring Thoroughbred season, the powerful ownership team of Sandy and Jerry Heflin of Rockwall, Texas, and Ywachetta and James Driver of Irving, Texas, won two races Friday night to bring their season total to 28 -- a new single-season win record by an owner at the Grand Prairie racetrack.
Three time grade I winner Southern Image, who has earned more than $1.8 million, has been purchased by the Taylor Made / WinStar Venture for stallion duty.
Southern Image, one of the top older runners of 2004, has been retired from racing because of soreness in his cannon bones.
Races can hardly come any closer than Monday's featured event in the Texas Million series -- the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) -- where four noses hit the wire together. After the dust had cleared, Supah Blitz was declared the winner and 11-10 favorite Lion Tamer was off the board.
Four-year-old Supah Blitz, now a California resident, returned to his roots Saturday at Calder Race Course and won the $200,000 Carl Rose Classic, a race for Florida-breds that is part the track's Florida Million program.
Millionaire Southern Image, one of racing's leaders the first part of the year, will be pointed toward a 2005 campaign.
Supah Blitz, winless in nine starts this year, became a grade II winner in his first start for new trainer Doug O'Neill while all out to hold off Domestic Dispute in the $250,000 Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap at one mile Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Coalport Convincing Winner of Connally Cup
- Catalog Online for Barretts 2-Year-Old Sale
- Rising Star Cassatt Captures Ladies Classic
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull
- Eblouissante Retired, to be Bred in Europe
- Alert Bay Victorious in Cal Cup Turf Classic
- Mischief Clem, 'Kitty Post Upsets in Cal Cup
- Lochte Triumphs in Tampa Bay Thriller
- Barbados Makes the Grade in Hutcheson
- Birdatthewire Soars to Easy Forward Gal Win