Favored Kafwain and Bull Market, a pair of Bob Baffert-trained juveniles, battled through the stretch Saturday in the $200,000 Norfolk (gr. II) at Santa Anita, with the Thoroughbred Corporation's Kafwain scoring a nose victory over his stablemate.
Trainer Clifford Sise has big hopes for maiden winner Royal Siphon, who takes a big step up in Saturday's Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Bob Baffert has more than half of Wednesday's Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) field in his barn. Perhaps he's simply stacking the deck--if one of Baffert's horses wins the race, it will be his seventh straight victory in the event.
The $300,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) on closing day Wednesday continues to shape up as a yet another Bob Baffert revue for 2-year-olds going seven furlongs on the main track.
The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Kafwain, a two-year-old stablemate of Kentucky Derby winner War Emblem, earned the first stakes victory of his brief career with a come-from-behind triumph in the featured $150,000 Best Pal Stakes (gr. III) at Del Mar on Wednesday.
Outta Here, who has yet to win a race but already is stakes placed, looms as a dangerous factor in Wednesday's grade III, $150,000 Best Pal Stakes.
Florida-bred Crowned Dancer led throughout under Alex Solis to win the Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) at Hollywood Park on Saturday, upstaging the Bob Baffert-trained Kafwain, the even-money favorite in the six-furlong event for 2-year-olds.
Oberwald, winner of the Haggin Stakes with Victor Espinoza aboard, will get a new rider in Eddie Delahoussaye for Saturday's $100,000 Hollywood Juvenlie Championship (gr. III). In his last start on Father's Day, June 16, Oberwald won the Haggin Stakes, the same race his sire, Swiss Yodeler, captured in 1996.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile