Last after a half-mile, Stuart Janney III and Phipps Stable's Criminologist began her assault on the lead into the final turn and needed only half the stretch to strike the front, as the 5-year-old mare won by a measured half-length under John Velazquez in the $100,000 Beaugay Handicap (gr. IIIT) April 26 on the Aqueduct turf.
A field of seven is entered for the Feb. 23 Bayou Handicap, a 1 1/8-mile turf test for older fillies and mares at Fair Grounds.
Though she has her work cut out against a formidable field in the $750,000 American Oaks Invitational (gr. IT) Saturday at Hollywood Park, the intriguing Anamato could become the first Australian-bred and trained horse in recent history to win a major North American race.
G. Watts Humphrey Jr.'s Communique, a closing fourth in the Regret Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs turf June 16, has accepted an invitation from Hollywood Park racing secretary Martin Panza to compete in the $750,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on July 7, trainer Rusty Arnold said Friday from Kentucky.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation