In her first race since defeating West Coast males in the Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap (gr. IT) three months ago, Proviso takes on streaking filly Phola in the $400,000 Just a Game Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont Park June 5.
With a thrilling late run through the final furlong, heavy favorite Gorella ran down pacesetter Pommes Frites to win the $300,000 Just A Game Handicap (gr. IIT) over Belmont Park's yielding turf course.
Gorella, beaten less than two lengths by English Channel and Cacique five weeks ago in Churchill's Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT), will be the one to beat Saturday in the $300,000 Just a Game Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Belmont Park Widener Turf course.
Intercontinental broke poorly and had to check down the backside, but once Jerry Bailey found racing room, she spurted to the lead and won the $250,000 Just a Game Breeders' Cup (gr. IIT) Saturday at Belmont Park.
Juddmonte Farms' Etoile Montante, nipped by the narrowest of noses in her last start, could be the slight favorite when nine go to the post in Saturday's $250,000 Just a Game Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Belmont Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Los Alamitos Concludes Successful Winter Meet
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Strong Field Set for Mathis Brothers Mile
- Divine Oath, North Slope Meet in McKnight
- Speechify Goes for Grade in Mr. Prospector