In her first race since defeating West Coast males in the Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap (gr. IT) three months ago, Proviso takes on streaking filly Phola in the $400,000 Just a Game Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont Park June 5.
With a thrilling late run through the final furlong, heavy favorite Gorella ran down pacesetter Pommes Frites to win the $300,000 Just A Game Handicap (gr. IIT) over Belmont Park's yielding turf course.
Gorella, beaten less than two lengths by English Channel and Cacique five weeks ago in Churchill's Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT), will be the one to beat Saturday in the $300,000 Just a Game Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Belmont Park Widener Turf course.
Intercontinental broke poorly and had to check down the backside, but once Jerry Bailey found racing room, she spurted to the lead and won the $250,000 Just a Game Breeders' Cup (gr. IIT) Saturday at Belmont Park.
Juddmonte Farms' Etoile Montante, nipped by the narrowest of noses in her last start, could be the slight favorite when nine go to the post in Saturday's $250,000 Just a Game Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Belmont Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks