A sloppy track and red-hot pace battle did nothing to slow Semaphore Man, who repelled a challenge from Junior College through the stretch and drew off in the final strides for a front-running 1 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 10.
Junior College owns back-to-back stakes wins after drawing away to a 3 1/2-length victory in Turfway Park's $50,000 Holiday Cheer Dec. 29. Sweetnorthernsaint, the 6-5 favorite who was making his first start since May, finished sixth.
- By Jason Shandler
- News, Racing, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) favorite Sweetnorthernsaint returns from a seven month layoff Dec. 29, taking on 10 rivals in the $50,000 Holiday Cheer Stakes at Turfway Park.
Unbridled Sidney, Churchill Downs turf course record holder at five furlongs, makes her first start in six months Friday when she faces males in the $150,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT) at her favorite distance.
California sprinter Bordonaro went gate to wire to successfully defend his title in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Friday, but he had to work harder to do it.
Mjaka Stables' Junior College, making his stakes debut, set an Ellis Park track record for 6 1/2 furlongs en route to winning the $50,000 Don Bernhardt Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Pleasantly Perfect to Taylor Made Stallions
- Bandbox Retired to Northview Stallion Station
- Startup Nation Impresses in With Anticipation
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Magic Bay First Winner for Sire Neko Bay
- That Handicapping Show - Woodward Stakes
- LoPresti Not Thinking About Horse of the Year
- Riders Trujillo, Nakatani to Fight for PDJF
- Durkin to be Honored at Saratoga This Weekend