A sloppy track and red-hot pace battle did nothing to slow Semaphore Man, who repelled a challenge from Junior College through the stretch and drew off in the final strides for a front-running 1 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 10.
Junior College owns back-to-back stakes wins after drawing away to a 3 1/2-length victory in Turfway Park's $50,000 Holiday Cheer Dec. 29. Sweetnorthernsaint, the 6-5 favorite who was making his first start since May, finished sixth.
- By Jason Shandler
- Thoroughbred Racing, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) favorite Sweetnorthernsaint returns from a seven month layoff Dec. 29, taking on 10 rivals in the $50,000 Holiday Cheer Stakes at Turfway Park.
Unbridled Sidney, Churchill Downs turf course record holder at five furlongs, makes her first start in six months Friday when she faces males in the $150,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT) at her favorite distance.
California sprinter Bordonaro went gate to wire to successfully defend his title in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Friday, but he had to work harder to do it.
Mjaka Stables' Junior College, making his stakes debut, set an Ellis Park track record for 6 1/2 furlongs en route to winning the $50,000 Don Bernhardt Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired