A sloppy track and red-hot pace battle did nothing to slow Semaphore Man, who repelled a challenge from Junior College through the stretch and drew off in the final strides for a front-running 1 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 10.
Junior College owns back-to-back stakes wins after drawing away to a 3 1/2-length victory in Turfway Park's $50,000 Holiday Cheer Dec. 29. Sweetnorthernsaint, the 6-5 favorite who was making his first start since May, finished sixth.
- By Jason Shandler
- Thoroughbred Racing, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) favorite Sweetnorthernsaint returns from a seven month layoff Dec. 29, taking on 10 rivals in the $50,000 Holiday Cheer Stakes at Turfway Park.
Unbridled Sidney, Churchill Downs turf course record holder at five furlongs, makes her first start in six months Friday when she faces males in the $150,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT) at her favorite distance.
California sprinter Bordonaro went gate to wire to successfully defend his title in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Friday, but he had to work harder to do it.
Mjaka Stables' Junior College, making his stakes debut, set an Ellis Park track record for 6 1/2 furlongs en route to winning the $50,000 Don Bernhardt Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies
- Cathryn Sophia to Pioneerof the Nile in 2017
- Arrogate Returns to Work Tab
- Gulfstream Set for Historic Championship Meet
- Jose Ortiz Rides Five Winners at Aqueduct
- Doctor J Dub Breakthrough Horse for Antonucci