A sloppy track and red-hot pace battle did nothing to slow Semaphore Man, who repelled a challenge from Junior College through the stretch and drew off in the final strides for a front-running 1 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 10.
Junior College owns back-to-back stakes wins after drawing away to a 3 1/2-length victory in Turfway Park's $50,000 Holiday Cheer Dec. 29. Sweetnorthernsaint, the 6-5 favorite who was making his first start since May, finished sixth.
- By Jason Shandler
- Thoroughbred Racing, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Last year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) favorite Sweetnorthernsaint returns from a seven month layoff Dec. 29, taking on 10 rivals in the $50,000 Holiday Cheer Stakes at Turfway Park.
Unbridled Sidney, Churchill Downs turf course record holder at five furlongs, makes her first start in six months Friday when she faces males in the $150,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT) at her favorite distance.
California sprinter Bordonaro went gate to wire to successfully defend his title in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Friday, but he had to work harder to do it.
Mjaka Stables' Junior College, making his stakes debut, set an Ellis Park track record for 6 1/2 furlongs en route to winning the $50,000 Don Bernhardt Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Report: Dips in Stallion, Mares-Bred Numbers
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- Court Rules Borells Have No Claim on Horses
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- Yearling Sale Season Ends With F-T October
- Malibu Moon Filly Tops F-T Pinhook Prospects
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted