Favored Willow O Wisp wore down Juliesugardaddy in the final strides to win the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Del Mar turf Saturday.
Stakes winners El Roblar and Willow O Wisp head a field of seven 3-year-olds who will contest Saturday's $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/16 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
The third largest crowd in Del Mar history, 40,046, saw Becrux and El Roblar win divisions of the featured Oceanside Stakes Wednesday, opening day of the seaside track's 43-day summer meeting.
Del Mar racing fans will get their usual double dose of stakes action as the seaside track opens its 66th season Wednesday with two divisions of the Oceanside Stakes, the perennial opening-day feature for 3-year-olds going a mile on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
Juliesugardaddy, unbeaten in three turf starts, could be just the tonic that ailing trainer Barry Abrams needs when the gray colt seeks his first graded stakes victory Saturday in the $100,000-added Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park.
Last year's juvenile champion Declan's Moon makes his long-awaited 2005 debut in Saturday's $200,000 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- TOBA Names Top Owners, Breeders for 2014
- Live Stream of Welfare Summit Offered July 8
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Favorite Tale Upsets Champion Work All Week
- Filly is First Winner for Albertus Maximus
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Bradester Too Strong in Salvator Mile
- Grand Bili Upsets Barbados in Carry Back