An international field of fillies and mares is set for the 47th running of the $150,000 Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds and up at Monmouth Park July 28.
Susan and Jim Hill's Solid Appeal, a 4-year-old daughter of Successful Appeal, knocked down her second straight grade II Canadian stakes, winning the Dance Smartly Stakes at Woodbine July 7 by two lengths.
Solid Appeal, upset winner of the Nassau Stakes (Can-IIT) in May, looks to remain unbeaten in 2013 as the 122-pound highweight in the $200,000 Dance Smartly Stakes (gr. II) July 7 at Woodbine.
Daisy Devine would not be denied a return to the winner's circle Nov. 10, taking the $111,500 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs after a ding-dong battle with Julie's Love.
With five of its nine entrants bred outside the United States, including slight favorites Julie's Love and Dealbata, the $150,000 Noble Damsel Stakes (gr. IIIT) Sept. 15 at Belmont Park will have a strong European flavor.
An evenly-matched field of nine older fillies and mares heads postward July 3 in the $250,000 Dr. James Penny Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT), each seeking her first graded stakes score.
Most Popular Stories
- Canterbury Releases 2014 Stakes Schedule
- American Gaming Association Adds Churchill
- Finger Lakes Launches ADW Site
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat