An international field of fillies and mares is set for the 47th running of the $150,000 Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds and up at Monmouth Park July 28.
Susan and Jim Hill's Solid Appeal, a 4-year-old daughter of Successful Appeal, knocked down her second straight grade II Canadian stakes, winning the Dance Smartly Stakes at Woodbine July 7 by two lengths.
Solid Appeal, upset winner of the Nassau Stakes (Can-IIT) in May, looks to remain unbeaten in 2013 as the 122-pound highweight in the $200,000 Dance Smartly Stakes (gr. II) July 7 at Woodbine.
Daisy Devine would not be denied a return to the winner's circle Nov. 10, taking the $111,500 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs after a ding-dong battle with Julie's Love.
With five of its nine entrants bred outside the United States, including slight favorites Julie's Love and Dealbata, the $150,000 Noble Damsel Stakes (gr. IIIT) Sept. 15 at Belmont Park will have a strong European flavor.
An evenly-matched field of nine older fillies and mares heads postward July 3 in the $250,000 Dr. James Penny Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT), each seeking her first graded stakes score.
Most Popular Stories
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Tonalist Begins Push For Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- NY Tracks Awarded Extended VLT Hours
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Haskin: No More 'What Ifs' With Wise Dan
- A Timeline For Synthetic Racing Surfaces
- NY Legislature Extends 2% Share for Horsemen
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training