Riding the River, Canada's reigning male champion grass performer, successfully defended his title in the King Edward Stakes (Can-IIT) at Woodbine June 23 with a late surge to nip Valentino Beauty and the late-charging Hotep.
Shut off while making a move for the lead in the stretch, Riding the River dipped to the inside for racing room and emerged with a 9-1 upset win in the $318,180 Nijinsky Stakes (Can-IIT) July 22 on the Woodbine turf course.
Unleashing a strong turn of foot entering the stretch, longshot Riding the River rallied from last to first under jockey Todd Kabel to post an upset in the King Edward Stakes Presented by TVG (Can-IIT).
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- What's Going On Here: Truly Charismatic