Corey Nakatani takes over the reigns on 9-year-old Kona Gold in Saturday's $200,000 Portrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at 6 1 /2 furlongs at Santa Anita.
Debonair Joe, who in only 3 1/2 months went from being a $12,500 claimer to a grade I stakes winner, will run in the $100,000 Ken Maddy Sprint at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
David Nuesch, former leading rider at Emerald Downs, has joined the jockey colony at Santa Anita, where his book will be handled by Derek Lawson.
Not the least disheartened by Mayakovsky's ninth-place finish in the seven-furlong Malibu Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita on opening day, trainer Patrick Biancone says the 4-year-old Florida-bred is ready to go as he prepares for the $1 million Ocala Breeders' Sales Classic at 1 1/8 miles in the Sunshine Millions at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 25.
Debonair Joe, beginning to look like one of the best claims in racing history, is probably headed for the Sunshine Millions at Santa Anita Jan. 25.
Juan Pablo Silva takes Debonair Joe from a $12,500 claimer to winner of the Malibu Stakes.
Jockey Julie Krone and 53-1 shot Debonair Joe burst through the stretch five-wide to post a stunning neck victory over F J's Pace in the $100,000 Vernon O. Underwood Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Laoban Works Toward Preakness ... or Derby
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Preparations Continue for Oaks Hopefuls
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Team Pharoah to Receive Preakness Merit Award