Caroline Thomas picked up the first stakes win of her career when moved up in the $200,000 Woodford Reserve Lake Placid Stakes (gr. IIT) due to the disqualification of original winner Nellie Cashman Aug. 18 at Saratoga.
Bit of Whimsy had already accomplished her major goal of the year for trainer Barclay Tagg when the 3-year-old filly captured the Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup at Keeneland last month. She put an exclamation point on a strong campaign with her hard-fought victory in the $174,900 Mrs. Revere (gr. IIT) on the Churchill Downs lawn Nov. 10.
Favored Rutherienne got up in the final stride to catch Bit of Whimsy and earn a share of the dead-heated $109,000 Sands Point (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the Belmont Park inner turf Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap