Indian Vale, ridden by John Velazquez, rallied from just off the pace and drew away to score an easy victory in Churchill Downs' Thanksgiving feature, the 90th running of the $338,700 grade II Falls City Handicap for fillies and mares, 3-years-old and up.
Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (gr. I) winner Pampered Princess, once-beaten Indian Vale and Chilukki (gr. II) winner Bending Strings head a field of 12 fillies and mares entered for Thursday's 90th running of the $300,000-added Falls City Handicap (gr. II), the main course on the Thanksgiving Day holiday racing menu at Churchill Downs.
Stalking favorite Bending Strings disposed of Prospective Saint in upper stretch and won the $169,350 Chilukki Stakes (gr. II) for fillies and mares as she pleased Sunday at Churchill Downs, snapping a nine-race losing streak in the process.
John Gunther's Bending Strings has failed to win in seven races in 2005, but the company the 4-year-old filly has kept has made her a solid 9-5 favorite in Sunday's $150,000-added Chilukki (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Madcap Escape, winner of the Old Hat Stakes, and La Reina, who hasn't yet started this year, are among the six entrants for Saturday's Stonerside Forward Gal Stakes (gr. II).
Society Selection and Last Song, who finished just a neck apart in the Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) a month ago, head a small field of five in Saturday's $200,000 Bonnie Miss Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Gulfstream Park.
Justin and Stefanie Carroll's Journey Fever outlasted Defuhr for a one-length victory in the $100,000 Pat Whitworth Illinois Debutante at Hawthorne on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park
- Lenny's Place - Episode 7
- Barretts January Mixed Sale Catalog Online
- New Rules Lead to Spike in Indiana Positives