Capt. Candyman Can captured the $75,000 Super Stakes Feb. 5 after a 15 month layoff when he outdueled Legal Move at Tampa Bay Downs.
Capt. Candyman Can gained victory in the $300,000 NetJets King's Bishop Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 29 when the original winner Vineyard Haven was disqualified for drifting out into the path of his challenger in deep stretch on a "sloppy" Saratoga main track.
Capt. Candyman Can collected the fourth stakes win of his career when he out-kicked 4-5 favorite Cash Refund by three-quarters of a length in the $106,900 Matt Winn Stakes for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs May 16.
Joseph Rauch and David Zell's Capt. Candyman Can sparkled in his Churchill Downs debut while winning the Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) by three lengths Nov. 1. Four weeks later the son of Candy Ride tries to run them off their feet again, this time facing nine juvenile rivals in the $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II) Nov. 29 in Louisville.
Capt. Candyman Can took over approaching the turn, maintained a narrow advantage at the top of the lane and repelled a bid from Monty's Best in the final furlong to take the $111,100 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) by three lengths Nov. 1 on "Stars of Tomorrow" day at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Laoban Works Toward Preakness ... or Derby
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Preparations Continue for Oaks Hopefuls
- Team Pharoah to Receive Preakness Merit Award