Tiz Love became the first winner for Slew's Tiznow when he won the fourth race at Del Mar Aug. 29.
Slew's Tizzy, bounding home from between horses for red-hot jockey Joel Rosario, outfought favored Past the Point and pacesetter Ball Four to win the $108,200 Native Diver Handicap (gr. III) in a 7-1 surprise at Hollywood Park Dec. 6.
Two-time Derby-winning 3-year-old Deputy Glitters has been retired from racing and will stand his first season in 2009 at Brent and Crystal Fernung's Journeyman Stud in Ocala, Fla.
Azul Leon became the first graded winner and the second added-money winner overall for North America's leading first crop sire, Lion Heart, with a four-length triumph in the $106,000 Hollywood Juvenile Championship Stakes (gr. III) July 5.
Slew's Tiznow has been scratched from the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) because of a fever. The colt is the third 2-year-old Breeders' Cup contender to be scratched since Oct. 24 due to fever.
Joseph Lacombe Stable's Slew's Tizzy used a perfect stalking trip under Robby Albarado to capture the $300,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds as a slight favorite on a sloppy track Saturday in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Joseph Lacombe Stable's Slew's Tizzy, who clipped heels and lost his jockey James Graham in Fair Grounds' Risen Star Stakes (gr. III), is increasing likely to return for the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) March 10, according to trainer Greg Fox.
Joseph Lacombe Stable's homebred Deputy Glitters seized the lead coming off the far turn and finished full of determination for jockey Jose Lezcano to deal 2-5 favorite Bluegrass Cat a two-length defeat in Saturday's $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III).
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Look Back: Dr. Fager Delivers on Turf in United Nations
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker