In his first two-turn start, undefeated Samraat extinguished any doubts about his ability to handle route racing with a scintillating 16 3/4-length score in Damon Runyon Stakes for New York-bred 2-year-olds Dec. 18.
With Jose Ortiz setting her loose three wide turning for home, Royal Lahaina pounced on the lead, opened a two-length advantage in mid-stretch, and was never threatened late in upsetting the $300,000 Go for Wand Handicap.
In his first start against winners, Cairo Prince scored a decisive victory over an 11-horse field after taking over the lead at the top of the stretch of the Nov. 3 Nashua Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Romansh more than made up for his two previous unplaced efforts when he rolled to a convincing 9 1/4-length victory in the Nov. 2 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Pianist put away pacesetter Assateague in upper stretch and scurried home two lengths in front for her second graded win of the year in the $200,000 Athenia Stakes (gr. IIIT) oct. 12 at Belmont Park.
Strong Mandate turned in a dominant performance in the $300,000 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, winning for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas on the renowned horseman's 78th birthday Sept. 2 at the Spa.
Southern Equine Stables' Moreno made nine starts before he found the winner's circle for trainer Eric Guillot, but once he did, he rather liked it there.
Apprentice jockey Jose Ortiz won the first three races and brother Irad Ortiz Jr. took races 4 through 7 to give them a sweep of the first seven races Jan. 20 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Apprentice rider Jose Ortiz was released July 16 after an overnight stay in the hospital.
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit