Mark Russell's popular 8-year-old gelding Russell Road, who hadn't won since May, turned the tables on heavy favorite Lucy's Bob Boy to win the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 18 for the third time in his career.
Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races concluded its 2013 season the night of Dec. 28 with an average daily all-sources handle of $992,368, less than 1% off its record wagering average set the previous year.
Owner Mark Russell did some ducking and dodging with his 7-year-old gelding Russell Road at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, and it paid off in an unusual way.
Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races reported that, for the first time in the track's 79 years of operation, average daily pari-mutuel handle topped the $1 million mark.
Charles Town trainer Ronney Brown saddled his 2,000th lifetime winner when Twenty Hawks captured the West Virginia Governor's Cup on the night of Oct. 19.
Most Popular Stories
- Ankle Chip Will Sideline International Star
- Kentucky Derby Horse-By-Horse Recap
- Kentucky Derby Recap: American Idol
- Gulfstream Reports Solid Meet Numbers
- Kentucky Historical Racing Passes $1 Billion
- TOBA's Annual Breeding Clinic Set for Mid-May
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- What's Going On Here: Churchill's 180
- Grade I Winner The Tin Man Dies at 17
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes