In a race that completely changed complexion in the stretch, Flaxman Holdings' homebred Karakontie rallied to victory in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
French Two Thousand Guineas winner Karakontie will bid to add a second classic triumph to his record June 1 in the Prix du Jockey Club (Fr-I, French Derby) at Chantilly.
The Niarchos family's Karakontie tenaciously outfought Prestige Vendome and narrowly won the Poule d'Essai des Poulains (Fr-I, French Two Thousand Guineas) May 11 at Longchamp.
Maxios got up in the closing strides to deny Planteur victory in the Prix d'Ispahan (Fr-I) and Silasol won the Pour Moi Coolmore Prix Saint-Alary (Fr-I), giving deceased sire Monsun a group I double May 26 at Longchamp.
Montare completed a weekend Group 1 double for her sire, Montjeu, when she captured the Prix Royal-Oak (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Arc winner Bago became a group I winner for the third consecutive year when he burst through a hole near the rail with a furlong left to win the Prix Ganay (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Only three accepted the challenge of facing Bago in Sunday's Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I) at Longchamp, but the undefeated colt had to work for his half-length victory over Irish-bred Cacique.
Bago, France's leading 2-year-old in 2003, kept his perfect record intact Sunday in his season debut with an impressive victory in the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) at Chantilly.
The Nairchos Family's Bago bounded into next year's European Classic picture with a six-length romp in Saturday's Criterium International (Fr-I) at Saint-Cloud.
Most Popular Stories
- White Passionforfashion Already Turning Heads
- California Chrome Arrives at Arlington
- Medal Count Retired to Spendthrift Farm
- Lovely Maria Returns for Delaware Oaks
- Cozmic One, Full to Uncle Mo Meet at Belmont
- Colt First Winner for U.S. Champ Cape Blanco
- KY Downs Sets Historical Racing Handle Record
- Ben's Cat Aims for Fourth Parx Dash Victory
- WTBOA Summer Sale Catalog Available Online
- RMTC: Uniform Drug Program Has Momentum