Champion Gulch has been pensioned from stallion duty because of declining fertility at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.; A.P. Indy to stand for $150,000 as farm announces 2010 stud fees.
Manila, who was elected to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 2008, died Feb. 28 in Turkey because of an aortic rupture.
Herman Wesley Combs, a blacksmith for a number of prominent horsemen in the 1950s to the 1990s, died in Miami Feb. 10.
Genuine Risk, one of only three fillies to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), died the morning of Aug. 18 in her paddock at Bertram and Diana Firestone's Newstead Farm near Upperville, Va. The 31-year-old daughter of Exclusive Native was the oldest living Kentucky Derby winner.
Highlights of this week's report from Saratoga: Redemption for Lukas and Azeri...Anniversary of an historic Travers... No spa visit for Actxecutive... Stamina in the Family of Afleet Alex... Sir Shackleton, Zito's Sleeper.
Feb. 12, 1975
Foolish Pleasure at Hialeah
Most Popular Stories
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Stellar Wind Dominant in Torrey Pines
- Valid Bounds Away to Iselin Victory
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Navarro Mulling BC Dirt Mile for Private Zone
- NY Fan Forum: Improve Customer Service
- Smokey the Pony Reining at Saratoga
- Site Read Favored in With Anticipation