Champion Gulch has been pensioned from stallion duty because of declining fertility at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.; A.P. Indy to stand for $150,000 as farm announces 2010 stud fees.
Manila, who was elected to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 2008, died Feb. 28 in Turkey because of an aortic rupture.
Herman Wesley Combs, a blacksmith for a number of prominent horsemen in the 1950s to the 1990s, died in Miami Feb. 10.
Genuine Risk, one of only three fillies to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), died the morning of Aug. 18 in her paddock at Bertram and Diana Firestone's Newstead Farm near Upperville, Va. The 31-year-old daughter of Exclusive Native was the oldest living Kentucky Derby winner.
Highlights of this week's report from Saratoga: Redemption for Lukas and Azeri...Anniversary of an historic Travers... No spa visit for Actxecutive... Stamina in the Family of Afleet Alex... Sir Shackleton, Zito's Sleeper.
Feb. 12, 1975
Foolish Pleasure at Hialeah
Most Popular Stories
- Lani to Return in Al Maktoum Challenge Round 3
- Hartley, De Renzo Move Operation Into New Dimension
- McCraken to Miss Tampa Bay Derby With Ankle Strain
- A $300 Million Question at Pimlico Race Course
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 28, 2017
- What's Going On Here: Time Loves A Hero
- Bernardini Colt Among Horses to Watch at Gulfstream
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Illinois Board Approves $500K for Purses