California legislation that would redirect perhaps as much as $70 million from winning bets to purses and make the state the first in the nation to approve head-to-head wagering on horse races gained approval Aug. 31.
A national horseplayer's group is hoping to head off a takeout increase of 2% to 3% for exotic wagers on California races being discussed by Thoroughbred interests and the speaker of the state Assembly.
The Oak Tree Racing Association isn't pushing the Breeders' Cup to place the event at Santa Anita Park on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, but it will welcome the move if it comes, its executive vice president says.
Mine That Bird breezed through a four-furlong workout at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort on July 27. The track's clockers recorded a time of :49 4/5 as the Kentucky Derby winner continued his preparations for Aug. 1, $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- The Gurkha Edges Galileo Gold in Sussex
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Madden Gets Birthday Win at Saratoga
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty