California legislation that would redirect perhaps as much as $70 million from winning bets to purses and make the state the first in the nation to approve head-to-head wagering on horse races gained approval Aug. 31.
A national horseplayer's group is hoping to head off a takeout increase of 2% to 3% for exotic wagers on California races being discussed by Thoroughbred interests and the speaker of the state Assembly.
The Oak Tree Racing Association isn't pushing the Breeders' Cup to place the event at Santa Anita Park on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, but it will welcome the move if it comes, its executive vice president says.
Mine That Bird breezed through a four-furlong workout at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort on July 27. The track's clockers recorded a time of :49 4/5 as the Kentucky Derby winner continued his preparations for Aug. 1, $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Will Wise Dan Triumph in the Bernard Baruch?
- OBS August Yearling Sale Ends With Declines
- Indiana Proposes Emergency Cobalt Threshold
- Deep Spinaway Cast for Durkin's Final Call
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Pleasantly Perfect to Taylor Made Stallions
- I Spent It, Competitve Edge Enter Hopeful
- Bandbox Retired to Northview Stallion Station
- TimeformUS Weekend Plays: Woodward Stakes