There was a time in the early 1980s when the quick wit of the late comedian Don Rickles was matched with the speed of the equine Don Rickles.
New York Showcase Day June 1 at Belmont Park features eight stakes on a 10-race card restricted to New York-breds, with a variety of familiar contenders running for $850,000 in purses.
New York-bred Sunny Desert will put her six-race win streak on the line when she tries to grab the first graded stakes victory of her career March 2 in the $200,000 Top Flight Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Jockey Jason Lumpkins won three races at Turfway Park Sunday to tie Kris Prather's 2001 winter/spring meeting record of 109 wins.
Former trainer Tommy Pascuma, who in later years worked as an assistant to Hall of Fame trainer Phil Johnson, John Parisella and John Hertler, passed away Thursday after a long illness. He was 67.
Most Popular Stories
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move